Bandhavgarh National Park is one of the most popular and accessible wildlife getaways in India. Bandhavgarh boasts of the highest tiger sighting probability among all parks. Bandhavgarh is home to more than 25 species of mammals and more than 250 species of birds along with about 80 types of butterflies and many reptiles. Key species you are likely to see apart from the tiger are leopards, spotted deer, sambhar, nilgai, wild pigs, gaur, sloth bear, jungle cat, black-faced langur, rhesus macaque, jackal and chinkara.
Samode Safari Lodge is a luxury jungle lodge near Bandhavgarh National Park. The lodge has a series of individual chalets with private verandah and stunning views of the forest. Immensely private and remote Samode Safari Lodge is located in the heart of the tiger country, adjacent to the 450 sq km Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve in the Central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh which has one of the highest densities of tigers in the world.
There are two massive central lodges, which feature the common areas, the library, the dining rooms, etc. and then a pathway through the forest leading to the villas. During the day, you are encouraged to explore the property by yourself, however, after dark; guests are always escorted by a staff member bearing a lamp, to ward off any stray animals that may be lurking around.
• Go out on an early-morning or evening safari in Samode’s specially designed jeeps, with a charming and well-trained naturalist at the wheel. You can spot tigers, sloth bears, leopards, panthers, wolves, hyenas and gaur, as well as colourful birds, lizards and butterflies.
• Take a guided tour of the 22-acre property and the little village beyond, where you can visit the school (many guests bring small donations) and step into friendly locals’ houses.
• Free cooking demonstrations can also be arranged for those with an interest in learning more about Indian cuisine.
• If you need relaxation, get a fabulous massage in the tranquil spa, go for a dip in the pool, or simply soak up the sun on an outdoor daybed.
• Need an exercise fix? Go for a bike ride (there are bicycles to borrow) or work out at the gym.
• Elephant rides (additional cost) can be organized with a bit of notice.
• Play a game of billiards in the library, or cozy up with a nature book from Samode’s collection.
• Star-gaze after dark – there’s a telescope in one of the main lodges.